Re: Name that fish! Then, give me some info on it!

You are correct Amanda, most of the on-line (Google search) photos of Aplo.
panchax are less than satisfactory.

One of the better ones would be...
http://www.acquariofiliaitalia.it/pescidolce/44.html

Edd mentioned the Aqualog publication Killfishes of the Old World: Old World
Killis II (their spelling) you will find a variety of panchax photos. Some
are better than others. There are at least three pretty good shots by
Seegers which aptly illustrate the variation one would expect from such a
widely distributed killie.

As a kid I was fascinated by the illustrations in the old "Innes Book". I
wonder if any of us have ever seen all those color forms.

The first volume of the Baensch Atlas (or the  Foto Atlas) gives four pretty
good representations of members of the Genus Aplocheilus. That panchax is a
lot more colorful than most we might see. :)

If you don't have those books, find a local killie club and ask around.

An interesting thing about a couple of those web site photos of Aplocheilus
panchax is that some aren't even panchax. A couple were lineatus. There was
one pretty nice shot of one of the werneri subspecies. One even looked like
it was "possibly" a really faded Epiplatys lamottei with dropsey.

Of course the vast number of photos are still better than I could shoot. ;)

I would like to add just a couple of small, but important points to the
solid advice already given.

Feed them a lot. They are pigs. Because they are such dedicated surface
feeders, they will go for relatively clean pieces of Freeze Dried planton
(keep a few snails around to clean up the scraps). They also love live
foods. They will leave the surface to hunt something swimming industriously
around the tank.

Big ones can take small culls.

I've even brought them small worms from the garden.

As heavy feeders, their water needs to be changed faithfully, although they
are pretty tough fish.

If you can find one of those worm feeders - those are excellent for making
blackworms available for the Aplocheilus. (Or get together with some other
fish heads and order a couple of packages of them from
http://www.aquaticfoods.com/accessories.html .)

Here we go, spending your money again!

While some of us get eggs from them in the lower 70s F/ 21-23 C, they come
from really warm waters. One will see photos of open ponds in Thailand or
mention of rice paddies in India. July and August are often great times to
breed them when the fishroom or house gets uncomfortably warm for many
Americans who have become accustomed to their air conditioning. 80 degrees
F/ 27 C, if feeding is increased, is just dandy for Aplocheilus and they
will provide a lot of eggs which are pretty large (circa 1.5 to 2 cm species
depending) for killies.

If you can make pretty good sized spawning mops, more eggs will be hidden
from foraging parents or tank mates.

And always, always, cover the tanks or have a ceiling of plants!  ;)

All the best!

Scott