Re: More pH

Hello Duane and other water changers,

	Many of the visitors to my fish room here in St Louis during
the Convention, were commenting about how lucky they were to have
water at their homes which had a pH near 7 and not at 9.5 like my
changing water. So is the St Louis water along with much of the
Mid-west municipal water supplies. I drop in a little Thiosulfate and
the pH drops to about 8. This water often goes into tanks which were
just drained and had a pH of 5 to 6 due to the peat on the floor of
the tank. No harm to the occupants.
	Peat and fish trash/waste contains lots of nitrogen compounds
along with ammonia, amines and some nitrous compounds. This situation
does not require peat but that could explain a lot of chemicals in
the water. Never the less, pH changing by its self does not represent
much of a lethal threat. But, if the pH goes up above 9 and there is
ammonium ions present in large enough amounts, there will be enough
ammonia to do harm to the fish- - - in the same way, at a pH of about
4 and down, there is a release of nitrous acid and other acids
(organic and sulfur acids) the release can be lethal in the same way
as ammonia but on the other side of the acid/base curve. If the pH
gets to around 2, Hydrogen Sulfide begins to be released., ever stir
up an old pot of peat? smell the rotten eggs?(I know anaerobic
degradation, but the sulfur compounds are there for the taking)

That is just another reason I try to change all the water in tanks.
Another reason is the situation is not an equilibrium. Water changes
eventually reach an asymptote of dissolved solids mathematically, but
just today a 20 gallon tank sprang a leak. Now where am I to go for
an equilibrium? I will have to put the fish into my regular changing
water while I let the sealer dry. Same pH, same solids, same
everything, just like the water I changed them with last Friday.

It is not that the pH change is harmful, it is what it does to the
water chemistry when it falls too far or rises too high.
Charles H

--

http://www.InkForYourPrinter.com
for all your hard copy needs since 1987.