Mixing Fry(babies) NOT

Hi Ron,

        I think it might sound clearer for Chris if we called the various
forms of gardneri "populations" rather than "strains." They aren't really
strains, just exact locations. Chris, the African "name" (in this case) AFTER
the species name (i.e. gardneri) is usually the location where that
particular form of the species -- gardneri in this case -- was collected. It
might be the name of a local village, landmark, river, road, forest, etc...
but something that identifies the location of THAT population. During the
1960's and 1970's it was discovered (or confirmed) that many different
populations of the same species of killies would interbreed but that the fry
were often sterile. The scientific sense of what makes a species is not as
simple as we lay guys think of it. Because of the complex reality of a
"species" it was decided that it is best to breed pure populations if at all
possible. This helps to insure the survival of that location from a
conservation POV and helps prevent the creation of crosses within a species
that end up sterile or partly sterile. That said, if you just want an
aquarium strain of pretty fish and are willing to risk the sterility, you can
raise the fry together and just have fun. Just let the next guy or gal know
that the fish they are getting from you are an aquarium strain (not
population) created from crossing two populations of gardneri. Aquarium
strains can be bigger, prettier, more fertile and healthier than some pure
populations. 30 years ago most killifish in the hobby were just aquarium
strains (maybe pure populations, maybe not) and some had been maintained,
without new blood, for 50 years.

Robert