Re: Mixing Fry(babies) NOT

Hi Chris,  That's right, you will NOT be able to tell the n'sukka females from the akure females.  Not sure how many adult fish in a 10, 3 pair maybe if it's loaded with mops and/or plants. It would be better if it's more females than males though. If these 2 strains cross, the resulting fry will look very normal and should be able to reproduce.  You would have to label them "aquarium strain" though, and not "n'sukka" or "akure". As far as I know, that isn't the way the different strains appeared. It has more to do with geography than cross breeding.  Each different strain becoming isolated from all the others, and the change in appearance due to it's different surroundings, and how each strain evolved. Please all, correct me if I'm wrong on this.  Ron
ps. I own a pure bred Jack Russel Terrier female ;)
---
Ron Anderson
Warwick, RI
401-739-7670
alt email: ron02886 at cox_net

On Mon, 29 Jul 2002 17:01:41
 Chris Browning wrote:

> Do you mean I will not be able to tell the females from N'sukka and the females from Akure apart? Well, if that's true, how many adults can I keep in a ten gallon? So I can buy a few extra tanks and begin setting up a breeding area in my spare room, and also to keep the fish apart. Also, If a male from one,a nd a female from the other DO breed, will there be any true defects with the fry, or will the be just a mix of their parents? I know they won't be a true strain, but I am just curious to will the babies look like normal fish, and still be able to produce? Oh, and I want to point something out, how do you think there came to be different strains of Gardneri?! By a few different original pairs cross breeding in the wild! I am sure that Akure is a product of 2 other types of fishes cross breeding, as well as Jos Plateu, an N'sukka. I am not trying to argue, just make a point that your prized perfect fish are a by product of 2 other different fish. I doubt that any of you !
o!