Re: the great water change and equilibrium debate

Hello Doug,

As a first approximation, you can measure a "poop unit" reasonably
accurately for any fish, by measuring the (oven dried) amount (weight)
of food you add to the tank per day or per week.

Divide the amount of food by the number of fish in the tank and you have
the amount of poop per fish. Divide that further by the volume of the
water in the tank and you have the poop/fish/unit volume measure.

Even if the fish don't eat all the food you add, it will be there to
polute the water.

In growing fish some of the food will end up in body weight and thus not
add to the polution, but that will be a safety factor in the right
direction, i.e. indicating a bit more poop than is actually present in
the water.

One can follow the buidup of known amounts of poop and measure, say,
conductivity (TDS) and construct a graph of poop vs. conductivity. Then
only conductivety (at constant volume) needs to be measured to estimate
the amount of poop present in the water.

What will we call the science (art?) of estimating poop -- "poopology"?
:-)

Best,

George