musings on water changes

Wright:

Guess I was thinking  the buildup of minerals that could
prove harmful would be quicker in hard water, and that
what makes water hard is as important as how hard. I
have noticed tanic acid from 'Malaysain Wood' affect the
growth of Africans les than acid from breakdown of
ammonia. I am simple minded. My tongue can tell the
difference between coke, coffee, and tea. My test kit
cannot. There are other things that make water acid
and/or hard that I don't want to be able to tell by taste.
What causes the TDS seems to me to be as important
as what the TDS is. I tire quickly of tedious always doing
things the same and do often push the limits. I am often
surprised at how tollerant the fish are. I would think any
interested would rum six tanks with say 10% weekly changes,
six nearly identical tanks with 25%, and six with 50%. I do
feel that the larger the difference in the water, the more time
should be allowed for that change. Those used to 50% don't
have much change (if there is much difference maybe that
tank requires changes more often) as it is always fresh. But
those tanks with really old water should have a smaller, but
more frequent changes. Moderation is important to avoid shock.
A person with a good tan can take a lot of sun and shade.
A person with little tan needs to go a little slower with more
moderation. So when I do clean some of the bottom of those
tanks with no water changes for over two yeras, I will go very
easy with their change. Maybe 25% one month, then 50% the
next. The 'alkalinity' is very high so the water will probably be
fairly stable. I quit using RO with discus fry as the water changed
so much almost overnight. So they do grow well at 7.8 to 8.1.
It does take a long time to get them into the higher pH (30 days).
I wish I could cheaply test the 'leftovers', identify them, then
bio assay to see how each really affected different fishes. And
fresh tap water that forms small bubbles that stick to the sides
(may take an hour to form) does cause damage and or death.
I can change over 50% in a dirty tank, with no bubble formation.
But even a 10% may make disolved gas release in a super clean
tank. I have preoven to myself that even floating a bag in water
with these little bubbles will harm the fish in the bag. Cloudy eyes
in Oscars from a dirty tank that did have airstones, but the
gases kept oxygen low, and the optic nerve needs lots of ox, so
after improvements to water, the eye clears except for the very
center. I also feel kidney and liver damage can occur from these
gasses making it hard for the fish to fight normal pathogens. If
the new water is from a vat, and de-gased, that would never occurr.
Roger HawthorneGet more from the Web.  FREE MSN Explorer download : http://explorer.msn.com