Re: More musing on water change.

    Just my 2 cents worth.  When I change 25% of the water in the tank every
week, I suck the gunk off the bottom of the tank.  This seems to be the
stuff that decomposes into the harmfull substances, so by doing a 25%water
change and concentrating on cleaning organic, decomposing waste, one can
clean much more than just 25% of the total organic waste in the tank.  Since
the vast majority of the organic waste falls to the bottom, one can remove
most of the waste in the tank by cleaning it at the source (the bottom of
the tank where waste settles) and by changing the filters if there are any.
I have had great success with 25-50 percent weekly water changes for
extended periods of time.
    Dan