AW: nitrate filter

> Some of the plant books say that plants will only resort to using
> nitrate when ammonia is not available. The plant has to process
> the nitrate before it can use it.

Well, and in a runnig tank you always have at least traces of both: amonia
and nitrate. By the way, my nitrate filter runs as slowly as 480 liters (127
gals) in 24 hours for a 450 Liters tank (120 gals). It is impossible that
the filter alone is responsible for the zero level of measured nitrates.
This would mean that the filter breaks down the nitrates at once when they
are produced. Yet they are produced any place in the tank and in the main
filter. So where do the rest of the nitrates go if not in the plants? This
filter will only take care of the overload of nitrates which do not usually
exist in nature. It will reduce it to a level where the plants can deal with
the rest, reducing it to next to zero.

I have never tested it, I would expect to still measure some nitrates using
the same filter in the same tank but without plants.

Erik