RE: KillieTalk Digest V4 #259

RE:  Smog Pumps

I have been using a smog pump system for 25 years.  Prior to that I had
purchased a GAST blower which worked for about 18 months before needing
repairs.  Repaired, it broke down again in 6 months.  It was costing about
$100 a year to operate minus electricity which was only one of the reasons
to switch.  In other posts I cited the need for hatching brine shrimp
regularly and needing a reliable source for air so despite the noise I went
to the smog pump.  They have been fairly reliable and most often easy to
repair although when they break down late in the evening you have no-air
until you can get to parts.

I first used the washing machine motor and smog pumps were virtually free at
the junk yard.  You can still get the washing machine motors but going to
the 1/3 HP electric motor is better since they are pretty much a standard
size and the shaft on the motor is standard which often times when you get a
washing machine motor you might get a different size shaft for the pulley
wheel.  Your mount to board is fairly standard.  The only reason to say this
is that smog pumps would have different mounts depending on what make of
vehicle they originated from.  You obviously need to align the pulley on
both the motor and the smog pump.  When you have 4-6 jugs of brine shrimp
eggs in the works and you are down for more than a couple of hours, these
are your killers which is why being able to do a simple replacement on your
pump is so critical.

Getting a smog pump replacement is much more difficult today.  American and
German vehicles stopped using them in the early 80's and the Japanese
vehicles used them up to about 1990.  All you can get are rebuilt one's now
and this once cheap item isn't that way now.  I bought 3 when a part's store
went out of business waiting until they were at about 50% off and still paid
about $40 apiece for them.

A motor running non-stop lasts for about 10 years.  A smog pump lasts for
about 5-7 years.  It would last longer maybe if there wasn't so much
pressure in your air system.  A (fan) belt lasts about 2 years.  If you
don't ruin shafts or nick them, pulleys should last near a lifetime.

I used to run the pump right into a 1/2" line of pipe for my airline.  This
is way too much compression and the system gets very warm.  I have gone to
feeding the air into a 4 inch standpipe and tapping off 1 1/4" main lines
which eventually deliver to 1/2" loop manifolds with plastic fittings.  I
use a tap to thread the holes for the plastic control valve and also thread
the fitting (no sealant) (tap a hole into thick plastic and use this as the
die to thread your fitting) and this pretty much eliminates valves being
blown out.  This system provides a tremendous amount of air.  I have over
200 outlets on the line and the air pressure can still blows the pipe apart
at joints.  I supply air to 8 jars for brine shrimp hatching which are open
at the end.  No drop of pressure is seen at 18 inches of depth.  I think the
system capacity is at least 500 outlets but probably more if you bulk up the
delivery pipe diameters.

Dave Koran