From: "William Vannerson" <William_Vannerson at ama-assn_org>
To: <killietalk at aka_org>
Sent: Tuesday, July 23, 2002 9:02 AM
Subject: Re: Smog Pump

Norm has had such a unit running in his fishroom for years.  It's not quiet,
but it's not annoyingly loud either.  I have a photo that I took that I'll
try to post to the ChiKA web site in a few days.

The one shown on the linked page has a few interesting features.  One, the
fan mounted on the motor shaft to help cool the motor is a novel concept.
If the the unit is in the fish room, it could help circulate the air in the
room.  Two, the air intake is piped in from another room to reduce
condensation.  I did notice that line has a 90 degree elbow.  The air will
"pile up" and compress at this point, increasing the noise.  You want smooth
turns to reduce this effect.  I also know folks who have added mufflers
after the pump, a glass jar with filter material will reduce the noise and
provide mechanical filtration for dust and other airborn matter, especially
carbon from the wearing vanes. (see
http://www.thekrib.com/Filters/air-pumps.html for a better explanation)

Bill Vannerson
McHenry, IL