Re: AW: nitrate filter

On 22 Jul 2002, at 19:24, Erik Pfingstner wrote:

> what is a powerhead?

essentially a submersable water pump. Nice and handy but the flow
rate would be too high as Erik points out...

I should of been more clear... my mistake.

My friend has a 22 litre drum which gets fed a small portion of the
return water from his sump/filter. This tum is so effective that it
dropped the NO3- levels from about 40 mg/ml to about 20 after one
week of operation. It is still going strong and keep the NO3- levels
in his ~3'500 L malawi cichlid grow out system composed of 7 ~500 L
tubs.

He turns that system over 4x every hour and has crystal clear water
all year round inspite of lots of sun shine--- the vats are outside.
His heating system is evem more elaborate. Most of his HIGH wattage
heaters are home made and keep the water temperature in winter
between 16 and 20C inspite of 4C overnight temperatures.

There was an article in AFM a while back on designing the optimum
anaerobic filter. I think the specs were a 2 meter 5 mm tube with a
flow rate of 2 ml/min...

In essence if you want reallly GREAT filtration switch to a sand
filter. Run the outlet the "dark box" with course filter medium and
then through shell grit to neutralize any nasty H+ ions that are left
over. I personally prefer the planted tank concept.:-)

tt4n

Tyrone Genade
tgenade at sun_ac.za
http://www.tyronegenade.0catch.com

P450 Lab, Biochemistry Department
University of Stellenbosch, 7602, South Africa
Ph: +27-021-808-5876, fax: +27-021-808-5863