AW: nitrate filter

Hi Tyrone,

Erik

> > How do you construct a nitrate filter??
>
> If you are willing to go with powerheads and actually move water all
> you need is a dark box with filter medium. As long as there is no
> light and the filter has no access to air it will begin to function
> anaerobicly and break down the nitrate.

what is a powerhead?

Yes but there is oxygen disolved in the tank water and nitrates wont break
down in presence of oxygen. The bacteria will burn the easier source of
oxygen, either dissolved O2 or nitrate (NO3). Therefore a very slow flow of
water is needed in your dark box. The first bacteria use up the dissolved
oxygen and the next consume the oxygen of NO3.

I once bought 2 small nitrate filters which were simple dark boxes with (I
assume) a filter medium. Although I fed the bacteria as required by the
manufacturer, I never noted a lessening of nitrate at all. The flow of water
was very low, but the boxes were not big enough for the dissolved O2 to be
consumed by the bacteria. Either that or the filter was simply reducing too
litle NO3.

> Unless you are going to try an implement ways to reduce your
> phosphate levels and other fish wastes (hormones etc...) you will
> still have to do water changes.

I dont intend a system with no water change at all. But if you have 9 tanks
(mostly big ones), you consume much time for water changes. I intend to
reduce this to a minimum which is nice and healthy for the fish.

By the way, It is very possible that a big nitrate filter will not only
reduce nitrates, but also phospates. That is how they reduce nitrates and
phosphates in the municipal water companies: big anaerobic fliter bassins
filled with filter mud.

Erik