AW: changing water . . .

Hi Daniel,

you are right that there are more end products building up in the aquarium.
I suppose though that next to all of those end products can be filtrated out
by bacteria: In Germany the main of the water recycling of the water
companies works through bacterial filtering. They get out almost anything
with this. The trick they use is huge anaerobic masses of decomposing
detritus mud through which the water flows slowly. After that, the water is
oxygened again and particle filtered.

The point is they get out almost any substances with that method, even soaps
and detergents. An anaerobic filters uses the same principle at smaller
scale.

This time I have tested the water Nitrates and Phosphates before switching
the filter on. I am going to test again every week and see what are the
changes. I hope that also the phosphates get reduced. (They do in the
municipal water recycling).

One of the visible parameters of high level of disolved organic wastes is
how clear the water is. I have such a chep test which consist simply of a
stripe of platified paper with one side white and the other side very
slightly yellow. If you put it into high waste water you wont make the
difference in coulour. Even a better test is to take a white bucket and fill
it with tank water. On the other side you take another white bucket and fill
it with RO water. You see a clear difference in water having high levels of
organic wastes dissolved. The RO water is simply clear, and the other is
coulored.

This of course is for high levels of wastes. Yet If I run my tank 3 months
without water change but with this nitrate filter, provided the filter only
handles the nitrates, the water should be yellowish.

It is just a test, and 3 months without change in a 120 Gal tank with plants
and not too much fish but a working nitrate filter is not much. I will see
and since I test the parameters each week, I run no danger of poisoning the
fish.

By the way, when you have a running tank of this size, it is almost
impossible to break down the ecological system to a point that you can
measure nitrit or amoniac. Even repeated bacterial treatments never ever
broke my filtering bacterial system to a point that I could measure any
nitrit or amoniac.

Bye, Erik