Re: Hardness and Calcium confusion

At 07:57 PM 7/21/2002 -0400, you wrote:
>I believe the problem is a simple misunderstanding.  The issue of calcium and
>hardness seems to have become one and the same, and of course, they are not.
>There is NO calcium in baking soda, but it does raise the HARDNESS.

Sorry, but that is wrong. As George pointed out, Calcium, magnesium or
certain other cations MUST be present to produce hardness in the water.

George pointed out that alkalinity is not necessarily related to hardness,
and that is true. I hope my earlier message was not confusing. However, it
is true that calcium bicarbonate in the water will contribute to both
hardness and alkalinity.

Barry