Re: Reconsider use of Baking soda.

LeeH920226 at aol_com wrote:
> In a message dated 7/21/02 11:05:05 AM, jwwiii at pacbell_net writes:
>
> << Charles just reminded me -- off to change some water. >>
>
> Good advice, but let's stimulate the group and ask how do you do it. I have
> three techniques that all depend on the size of the tank.

Stable technology requires time to develop. I just moved, so am feeling
my way in new surroundings. You have obviously worked out a routine.

> 1) for larger than 10 gallons, I run a python to and from the aquarium -- but
> when I start the siphon, I run it into buckets to dispense to the garden.
> Then I refill directly from the tap with the addition of dechlorinating
> chemical -- sodium thiosulfate.

Not practical in my small setup.

> 2) 4-10 gallons -- I siphon into a bucket and refill by pumping from 55
> gallon drum that is aged with recirculation through peat and addition of
> dechlorinating salts.

This is more like what I do. Siphon to bucket, but refill with bucket.

I only had three species until yesterday. Now have 6 and will have to
hustle.

I find the 1.25G Ice Cream buckets easier to lift and handle, even if
they are a bit flimsy. I use tap water with "Amquel," since I'm not sure
about the chlorine/chloramine situation here in agricultural country.
[Ground water ammonium combines with chlorine to form the chloramine in
some farming communities. Water reports are less than relable when that
happens.] "Amquel" or "Prime" or "Ammo Lock 2" o/e are safest, IMHO.

> 3) Less than 4 gallons -- I carry to the sink and use a turkey baster to
> remove bottom stuff and scoop out some more. I refill the same as 2). My
> least preferred and most time consuming procedure.

I use the little semi-clear food containers for a few babies, and they
get the latter treatment in some form.

>     In most cases I change about 1/3 of the water as often as I can find the
> time. Not often enough for the smaller more numerous and more labor intensive
> sizes. As I get less inclined to spend 18/7 doing water changes, I will move
> to fewer, larger tanks, I am sure. Either that or I will install a
> semiautomatic system.

I did a demo at yesterday's meeting of how to make some of the critical
components for a full-automatic water change system. I suspect I will be
doing lots of shoeboxes, so probably will be installing one in the near
future. Until then, no pictures. Words will have to do.

In my approach, you need a constant-level supply of conditioned water,
at a level somewhat higher than your tanks. [A horse-trough or
swamp-cooler float valve can work for that.] Self-starting and
non-clogging siphons can provide a drip feed to the containers. Either
drilled, side-mounted outlets or a tube with three 180 degree bends can
provide a reliable overflow. A small hole on top of the third bend
serves as a siphon break to limit the water drain to that height.

The siphons and drains can be fabricated from refrigerator ice-maker
line (1/4" white polyethylene) and acrylic yarn (as siphon starters
and/or fry filters). Push a stiff wire through the tube and heat to
boiling after bending to the desired shape. On cooling, the stiff tubing
retains that shape. Black RainDrip line would work, but the frosty stuff
may let you see when it is time to replace the yarn before a clog happens.

Wright

"The right of self-government does not comprehend the government of others."
                                 -- Thos. Jefferson --

That's what Independence Day is all about, isn't it? <www.self-gov.org>