Temp Hardness vs permanent hardness was DYING SNAILS

Boat, I still wonder why there is such a need to alter the water
chemistry, but to help Wright out of his ChemRubber suit . . .

Temporary hardness in due to Calcium Bicarbonate while permanent
hardness is due to the amount of Carbonate present in the water. All
are pH dependent and the addition of more CO2 will add more HCO3-
(acidity) which will bring more calcium into solution but does not
necessarily improve water quality, nor the quality of the snails well
being either.

Could the verity of red snails just be weaker biologically than the
darker ones? Perhaps they are not getting what they need for
nutrition?

Dissolved solids can be a lot of things, sugar and carbohydrates for
instance. Sodium chloride changes things also. The boiler scale is
just calcium carbonate which has precipitated out of solution. It is
soluble in acid with release of CO2. Heating solutions of Calcium
Bicarbonate releases Carbon Dioxide and forms Calcium Carbonate which
has limited solubility. I might add that Calcium Phosphate is
virtually insoluble and a product which is formed between some of the
foods we feed and the hardness in our water. It also coats lime stone
and other sources of Calcium over time and eliminates them as a
resource.

Animals get their building blocks from the food they eat. The things
which make a snail shell hard or thin are in the environment in which
they live. A stable living environment is a major life need as well.
If you quickly change the water quality with the addition of any pH
alternating compounds you change the osmotic pressure, the pH and
affect any pH dependent ions in the solution all at the same time. A
stable environment is a critical element to any animal's well being,
snail, fish and others.

One needs to routinely flush the toilet. The same changing water
should be available as needed.

which I need to do today!
--

http://www.InkForYourPrinter.com
for all your hard copy needs since 1987.