Re: DYING RED RAMS HORN SNAILS an enigma

Lee, you are doing something wrong. My daphnia (Moina) tubs are loaded with
red ramshorn snails. I constantly squash any brown "throwbacks"(the normal
color in nature so throwback is an inaccurate statement) and I maintain only
reds and plenty of them. My city water is about pH 8.4 and hardness about 639
ppm and my tubs sit in the direct sun. When the water grows very hot (and I
live in southern Florida) the snails tend to collect along the surface on the
edge of the tubs, but they descend deep into the water at night when it is
dark and the water is cooler. I assume (no measurements made) the oxygen
level falls when the water is hot and increases as it cools which may explain
the movement of the snails.

                                                                    Harry
Specht
                                                                    Sarasota,