Re: fry with parents

It is not always possible to do this (so many killies, so little space, time
and money), but the bigger the tank, usually the more fry will survive. I've
seen this even with lineatus and the old Ep. kassiapluensis, both of which
are supposed to be notorious fry eaters. Still, given enough space (at least
a 20 gallon = 80 ? liter tank), lots of food for the parents and a heavy
plant cover, enough fry survived for the next generation

It is a lot like the population equilibrium movie they used to show in high
school biology classes. A set group of mice in a certain cage, fed a set
amount of food would grow in numbers to a certain level and then the
population would hold at that number. They doubled the size of the cage,
holding the food constant. The population would increase and stop at a
certain equilibrium. They increased the food ration in the expanded cage and
the population reached another equilibrium.

They didn't really talk much about how the mice limited their growth at
those critical levels. In light of how humanity keeps increasing our
numbers, maybe the old biology teachers should have.

Those of us who cut our aquatic teeth on guppies or another prolific
livebearer often saw this population equilibrium established.

That is why Bob's emphasis upon providing a lot of plants and the fairly
frequent squirt of baby brine shrimp (or sifted daphnia and newly hatched
mossie larvae for some of us) is so tremendously important. It expands the
parameters for that population equilibrium.

I am amazed at David's community tank where a few Nsukka fry will still
manage to survive. He is obviously meeting the needs of those fishes.

Usually single species tanks are more effective at giving fry a chance of
surviving.

Make that 29 a 55 gallon tank and the number of Nsukka would increase - not
enough to justify the expense of the new tank probably. :)

Many of us have reached the point where we had picked all the eggs of the
killies, in just a spawning set-up, which we needed. The pair remeained and
was cared for as before. It is not uncommon to have a dozen small fry in
with the parents some time later. Gardneri are especially tolerant of
youngsters this way.

Kristen alluded to this phenomenon in her post POPULATION EXPLOSION! about
11 days ago. By the way, her undergravel filter was probably drawing
gardneri Nsukka eggs through the gravel, sheltering then and also aerating
them with the water flow until they hatched.

I don't use undergravel filters much anymore because they must be regularly
gravel vacuumed, back-flushed or other wise cleaned throroughly. (Woe unto
someone who neglects that.) But when using them, a couple of times the most
surprising fry would appear from down under!

All the best!

Scott