Re: Dark Substrate

gary l meyers wrote:
> Onyx is pretty inert - about as active as diamonds.
> makes a pretty gravel for well planted tank and Cardinal Tetras !!

This was what I meant about being careful to know what you use. The
mineral onyx (a form of quartz) is chemically inert as all get out.

The substrate material marketed under the trade name "Onyx" is not
silicon dioxide, and may give folks with soft water serious problems
with holding tds and hardness constant. It is a low-fired clay,
material, I think. It may contain significant amounts of Ca and Mg plus
their carbonates, which can change your water hardness a lot.

Caveat emptor, I think, is the correct expression. :-)

Wright

"The right of self-government does not comprehend the government of others."
                                 -- Thos. Jefferson --

That's what Independence Day is all about, isn't it? <www.self-gov.org>