Re: Dark Substrate

I use black sand called "Tropical Isle" (Spelling?)
from my LFS - quite expensive but I (and my fish
I hope too) like it. I treat the sand with vinegar
which "eats away" all the stuff that could influence
the hardness of the water.

I use this sand for quite a while now and I have
not noticed any significant change in water hardness.

http://www.petluvers.com/estesultrareefmarinesandblack.html

> > Lee Harper
> > Media, PA
>
> Most of the Estes products I've seen in the LFS have
> an
> epoxy-type lacquer on them that lends an unnatural
> appearance in the tank
> (lighting glints off of it rilly well). I remember
> some sad tidings, I think
> it was the

"let's-cycle-a-new-fishless-tank-using-ammonia-crowd"