Re: Drip Tubing

Sandy1238 at aol_com wrote:
> Hi,
> Home Depot has plastic 1/2 inch black tubing in 100 ft. rolls for drip
> irrigation. Is that what some of you have been using for you air systems?
> What type of valves would you use with this system and what type of glue or
> sealant would be needed to form a good leakless bond?
> Regards,

I have rarely used it for air distribution, but have used clear vinyl
tubing with rain-drip fittings instead. The bayonet fittings just poke
through a hole made with a special RainDrip punch, and need no cement.

Regular LFS airline is much more flexible, hence easier to route and
less likely to develop leaks at strained joints. It plugs directly onto
the bayonet "T"s and couplers. Larger (1/2"-5/8") clear soft tubing from
Home Depot can be hung up with the normal 1/2" RainDrip hangars, and can
be tapped with the bayonet fittings, just like the big (way stiffer)
black stuff.

I have used lots of the RainDrip valves for airlines, with good results.

I would avoid any use that needed any glue or sealant. Good bayonet
fittings in the right size hole or ID make excellent, non-contaminating
connections.

One use I have made of the 1/2" black tubing is as a (sorta) rigid
manifold across the back of a set of shelves. Both ends blocked with the
folding "plug" system and a bunch of inserted bayonet couplers gave me a
simple, cheap air manifold for a bunch of small outlets. It worked OK,
but I prefer rigid PVC pipe with the self-tapping 3/8" chromed brass
valves, quite frankly, for small distribution manifolds.

Wright

PS. For the larger fishroom distribution system, look at the plastic
electrical conduit. Assembles with the same glue as water plastic pipe,
but the bends are more gentle, hence much quieter.

"The right of self-government does not comprehend the government of others."
                                 -- Thos. Jefferson --

That's what Independence Day is all about, isn't it? <www.self-gov.org>