RE: Gene pools.

On 09-Jul-02 Katz, Sue wrote:
> This has direct relevance to us fishkeepers, and our concern about
> inbreeding.  Their abstract:  "Despite the importance of selection against
> deleterious mutations in natural populations, reliable estimates of the
> genomic numbers of mutant alleles in wild populations are scarce.  We found
> that, in wild-caught bluefin killifish Lucania goodei (Fundulidae) and
> wild-caught zebrafish Danio rerio (Cyprinidae), the average numbers of
> recessive lethal alleles per individual are 1.9 (95 % confidence limits 1.3
> to 2.6) and 1.4 (95 % confidence limits 1.0 to 2.0), respectively.  These
> results, together with data on several Drosophila species and on Xenopus
> laevis, show that phylogenetically distant animals with different genome
> sizes and numbers of genes carry similar numbers of lethal mutations."

However, note that this is the number of mutant alleles is in a wild
population.  This is a slight difference that the multiple inbred lines that we
are often faced with in the hobby.  Often, the entire gene pool we are working
with came from a few fish in a given location/collection inbred through 20, 30
generations.  Sightly different then a wild population

IMHO
john
------------------------------------
John N. Alegre                   o
Andante Systems               o
eCommerce Consulting       o
Custom Web Development <*{{{{}><
AKA, BKA, ACA
MKKA (Minnesota Killie Keepers Association)
MAS (Minnesota Aquarium Society)
Apistogramma Study Group
E-Mail: listhub at andante_mn.org
Date: 09-Jul-02