Re: Storing leftover silicone sealant

I worked with both silane derivatives (acetoxysilane is the curing group on
silicone elastomers) and with moisture cured isocyanate chemicals for many
years. I can attest to the fact that it is almost impossible to open either
of these two moisture cured systems and reseal it effectively unless you can
work in a laboratory dry box. In both cases one molecule of water is
sufficient to start the cure. The less water, the slower the cure, but it is
inevitable if any water molecule gets there. My solution is to buy as small
an amount as possible and throw it away. If I will need some more in a day or
two I will reseal it as best as possible and put it in the freezer to slow
down the reaction rate.

Lee Harper