RE: DYING RED RAMS HORN SNAILS

Hi Tyrone,
I don't use salt in my killie tanks [not currently keeping Nothos], but I
have seen the phenomenon you describe where a salt layer forms and stays for
a day or two if water movement is slow.
I need to check the pH however and am planning to buy a pH meter soon.
Makes sense that the lack of calcium to the snails is hurting them.  I do
have some oyster shell grit that I use in my worm cultures to keep them from
going too acid-which works just great.  Perhaps I will try that.  However,
that might be detrimental to the spawning of some of the Aphyosemions I
have.  Oh Well....
Thanks,
mike