Re: Storing leftover silicone sealant

Hello Dennis,

Silicone sealant cures by reacting with the moisture in the air. The
water (in the air) splits off the acetate capping group and the
"uncapped" silicone polymerizes/crosslinks.

Thus, to stop the curing reaction, one must exclude moisture. One simple
way of doing it is to seal the cap on the tube tip with molten paraffin
wax -- drip molten wax from a burning candle -- it is impervious to
moisture.

Best,

George