ph crash!

  I know I`ve seen this on the list before. While doing water changes to get
ready for vacation I`ve had a large ph crash. I use a mix of rain water and
my tap water that is treated with AMQUEL.  I was changing about 50% in each
tank. Most tanks are 2 1/2 gal. with either a foam filter or a box filter
with floss and lava rock. The water mix is right aroung 7.0 ph.  Don`t know
what my hardness is. Any help will be greatly  recieved.   Jim Randall
aka#08169,<ps my tap is around 8.0ph to start with>