Re: How many gallons does a typical Rubbermaid garbage-can hold?

They are available in a wide variety of sizes and prices.  Unless you go
with the large (and very expensive) grey industrial trash can, 50 to 55 gal
with removable wheels, I would go for 20 gal or less.  They are not designed
to hold that kind of weight.  I've seen the large grey industrial containers
full of ice get dragged over cobbelstone sidewalks with the removable wheels
for two years before cracking.  I would expect to get at least 5 years out
of one used to store water.

Personally, I would rather use the Rubbermaid stocktanks.  I put a 300 Gal
round stock tank in the ground as a fish pond once.  Fish seemed to like it,
so did the birds.  No way you can poke a hole in that, and you don't have to
guess ot the volume.  I have been thinking of the 100 to 150 gal oval
stocktanks for water storage/indoor ponds/daphnia tanks.  They are short
enough you could build shelves over them to hold flourescent fixtures and a
lot of fish tanks.  I've seen several pet stores do this for feeder fish
(without the lights).

Drummond