[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]
re: raising daphnia (was: Babies making babies) <== ATTNGeorge Davis
George (and other topical experts can chip in, of course !!!) :
A week ago, you posted a msg to KillieTalk entitled "babies making babies" that was really was devoted mostly to raising daphnia indoors. I'm interested in doing that .... and it seems like other people would be too, give the ever-rising price of brine shrimp eggs .... and so am hoping you could elaborate a bit on:
* the lighting and other conditions for your 15 gal "green water tank". Other than the few fish, do you do anything to actively stimulate the green stuff? Have you had any green water crashes / do you think it'd be worthwhile for me to perhaps keep two smaller (10 gal) green tanks, in case one crashes unexpectedly? Any particular reasons why std. glass aquariums should be preferable to rubbermaid-type containers for this purpose, or vice versa?
* how many 2-liter bottles of daphnia are you maintaining, for what kinds of harvests ? How often do you harvest, and how much?
* are the daphnia bottles bubbled ? lighted ? filtered? water changes? how often do you add more green water? how much?
* any particular type/s of daphnia that have worked well?
* any other questions I should have asked but was too ignorant to think of ??<g>??
In other words, as you can tell, I basically don't know a darn thing. I got a starter culture of moena last week that I'd like to get well established.
See http://www.aka.org/AKA/subkillietalk.html to unsubscribe