Re: Sex change in fish

I am quite certain that Convict cichlids are capable of changing sex. I have
removed a male from two females (to prevent further population explosion) and
within a month there was another brood of Convicts. Clownfish (anemone fish)
are well documented as doing the same thing. Always females change to males.
What is lacking however are very many documented cases where a true
functioning female turns into a male. Many cases, like my Convict tale and my
previous Nothobranchius account, may be cases of subordinate males that look
like females until they become the dominant male.

Lee Harper