NFC: List Regs -- Updated. Read'em or be beaten with pain sticks.

Rules and Guidelines for The Native Fish Conservancy List and Sublists
Revised: 13/12/1999.  See Adendums, end.

Contacting List Administrator
  The list's administrator is always available at the e-mail address:
<list>-owner at actwin_com  For the NFC Lists, this is NFC-Owner at actwin_com.
Feel free to contact me at this address with suggestions, praise, offers
of money, or complaints.

SPAM:

   Spam is defined as followed:  Any unwelcome commercial posting, or
multiple postings of the same materiel.  (Such as posting the same message
5 times.)  The following exceptions exist:

-=Relevant=- Articles

Fish Wish List: This is a collective posts of people looking for fishes.
There is a section for commercial messages.  These are run by individuals
on the list.  Other such units should gain approval from the list manager
before posting.
Accidental repeats:  Your router is lagging, and a message didn't make it
through for 8 hours.  You repeated it.  Both got sent.  As long as its
obviously not purposeful, it won't get you in trouble.
Auction Stuff:  Thats fine, as long as its the NFC auction [so, no, you
cannot auction off a date with yourself... and, no, I can't do that either
(sorry gals)]

First Offense:  Warning.
Second Offense: Suspension from list for time period of administrators
discresion.
Third: Permanent removal.

Extremely offensive material may result in immediate and permanent
removal.  Examples include sex or pornographic advertisements, chain
letters, and triangle/pyramid/etc. scams.  These will also result in a
nice little letter sent to your servers administrator, which may result in
revocation of your account there.

SPAM sent from adresses not on the list do not go thru.  However, they do
createa  bounce to the list-owners private account.  Any spam traced from
a false adress back to a list member will result in the above, skipping
first offense.
Bluntly, I'm sick and tired of getting a mailbox full of spam, ya'll don't
like it, I don't like it.  Especially not when I've already got a ton of
it.

FLAMES:

   A flame is any insulting or in/flam/atory remark.  This is something
meant to intentionally anger or upset someone else.  This is at the
receiving parties and/or list admin.'s discretion.

First and Second Offense:  Warnings.
Third and Forth  Offense:  Suspension for time period of admin.
discretion.
Fifth:  Removal.

   Watch what you say, and you won't get in trouble.  Light comments will
generally be ignored.  Also, remember that there is no tone in writing.
"You know, you're a real putz." can be read as insulting or a light,
jestful remark.

POSTS:

   Keep the material in posts relevant.  Some wandering of topics is bound
to occur, and will generally be ignored.  Keep the politics to a minimum.
Completely off topic posts should not be made.

General Offense: Notice to keep on topic to list.
Continued: Warnings.
Regular: Suspension.
Continued Regular:  Removal.

  An occassional off-topic post is bound to be made, and going to be fine,
such as, "Just want the list to know that my wife and I are now expecting
our first baby in June!" or "Having a big problem with my beautiful pair
of Oscars, anyone help?" or something along that lines is fine, as long as
its not a constant thing.
   This is discretionary.  Yes, its a fish list.  If you have a question
about fish that is off topic: You may send it to me at
wiegerj at paul_paulsmiths.edu.  If I can't answer it myself, I'll get it
answered, or just make up something that sounds good.

CROSS POSTS:

  We no longer have the large number of sublists, only FWL, NFCBreeders,
NFC, and the Digest.  Try to not cross post to these.  Most of the people
who care about trading are on FWL, most who care about breeding are on
NFCBreeders, and if they're not on those lists, they may not care and
would not like to receive messages.

OTHER:

  Harrassment by other means:
    You can get a list of all members of any list by sending mail to
Majordomo at actwin_com with the command who <list> in the body.  Use of this
list to spam/flame or otherwise bother list members will result in
immediate removal and/or contact to your site admin.  The same goes for
just sending mail to someone whos recently posted.  Messages of this
nature should be forwarded WITH HEADERS to joshuaw at paul_paulsmiths.edu.

  Digest and Other Lists:
     The volume of this document applies to members of
NFC-Digest at actwin_com and its members, NFC at actwin_com and its members, and
all affiliated sublists.

  Correcting the Admin:
     The admin, me, is always right.  If I say the sky is orange, its
orange.  Don't argue with me. :)  With all seriousnous, this comment
simply means that all decisions by the list administrator are final.

  Final Comments:
     The list has been more or less flame free, and, aside from some
bizarre situations mostly on topic.  We'd like to keep it that way.
Everyone makes mistakes, and they'll generally be forgiven.  As long as
you're not out to make an ass of yourself, you shouldn't get into too much
trouble.
     Those of you who know me know that I'm a pretty easy going guy.  As
I've said before, if you're not out to make a jerk of yourself, you'll be
allright.  I'm not out to be a censor, I'm not out to settle disputes,
just try to keep the list a bit happy for everyone.

Addendum 13/12/1999:
  Changes:  Modified R&R to reflect loss of sublists.
            Corrected and clarified a few points.

  Effective Additions, as of now:
            General Posting Guidelines:
                 Please remember that a message sent to NFC at actwin_com
reaches over a hundred people.  Try not to be annoying or offensive.  One
line posts such as, "I agree!" or "You're wrong" are meaningless.  They're
just going to be something to bother other people, especially if you've
quoted the four pages of the original message in it.  Before you send, ask
yourself, "Does anyone really care?"  Its a harsh way to put it, but, do
think about it.  If you really must send it to someone, either add some
real input, send it to the originator of the message, or send it to
yourself.
            Relevant Posting:
                  KEEP IT RELEVANT.  I'm -=tired=- of getting ICQ
messages, e-mails, or general comments about someone asking CONSTANT
questions that don't pertain to the list.  Its gonna get you unsubscribed,
period.
            Threads:
                  If a message is being shared by three people and is an
ongoing thread thats not really of general interest, take it offlist.  You
can CC the message to as many people as you care to, so if three people
are interested... CC it to them.
            Taking it off-list:
                  If you're asked to take something off-list, do it.
Period.

end
><>
Joshua L. Wiegert                                AIM UID: Etheosoma
NFC Lists' Administrator                         Wiegerj at paulsmiths_edu
www.geocities.com/RainForest/Jungle/1680/        owner-nfc at actwin_com
other commands, or feel free to contact me at Owner-NFC at actwin_com.  All
lists are @actwin.com. Come join us and chat about our native fishes, or
visit http://www.nativefish.org!