Re: NFC: Fishing is immoral ?

robert a rice wrote:

> However your point is that to fish for something
> means you do not respect it or care about it am I correct ? I think thats
> a reasonable topic

It also assumes attribution of animals with a sentient spirit and the
inalienable rights that sentient creatures should provide one another.

For example, porpoise meat must be pretty tasty because it was included
in canned tuna for years before anyone noticed.  But the general public
became upset.  Why?  The fish was not spared but the cetation was.  It
is because there is a strong belief that many marine cetations are not
only sentient but possessing a scale of intelligence and range of
emotions comparable to our own in many ways.  Thus most people find it
offensive to speak of causing harm to the more advanced cetations.

I don't know how many of y'all are Christians (I know I am) or Jews, but
in the Old Testament of the Christian Bible (which also means it is in
the holy books of the Jews), God gives man dominion over the animals of
the earth.  Now I think that dominion in this context probably means
"responsible stewardship" and while historically we've done a lousy job
of this, in the latter half of this century I think we've made great
strides in improving this.

> In my own opinion following your logic those of us who respect a
> beutifull oak tree would never use wood or wood products.

Or leave it alive, and turn a big old screw into its trunk to hang a
hammock!  (I love my hammock don't you dare go near that screw)

--

"I would remind you that extremism in defense of liberty is no vice; and
I would remind you also that moderation in the pursuit of justice is no

Follow-Ups: References: