Re: NFC: native fish library

#1 is:

_The Natural History of Native Fishes in the Death Valley System_, Stoltz,
D. L. and Naiman, R. J., Natl Hist. Museum of LA County Science Series
30:1-76, 11/10/1978

Best book on these fish (pupfish, dace, suckers and chubs). Good color pics,
dwgs, maps, and graphs. Paperback. [No ISBN AFAIK.] Was out of print, I
think.

#2 is:

_Battle Against Extinction_ Minckley and Deacon, Eds., ISBN 0-8165-1221-3,
1991

Big, thick book with lots more history and detail than the above.
Multi-authoring leads to some slightly turgid prose, in spots. Still a must
have for anyone interested in Southwestern Desert Fish Conservation History.
Hard bound, B&W only. A few pics, maps and charts.

And that's my $0.001 (2 cents, adjusted for inflation), ;-)

Wright

PS. The Peterson Field guide looks good for the Mississippi basin east, but
the west is rather poorly covered, IMHO. Schleser's _Native Fishes..._ is
even more confined to the east coast and southeast. Somehow makes everything
from the Rio Grande valley to the left coast look almost like a desert. :-)

--

         "DEMOCRACY" is two wolves and a lamb voting on lunch.
     "LIBERTY" is a well-armed lamb denying enforcement of the vote.