Re: NFC: Cloudy Water

Anthony Andrew wrote:

> Now, thanks to to the heat wave, the water temp is up to 90 degrees F
> (slightly cooler than the air inside my apartment). The water is starting to
> cloud up as well.

The fact that the tank is uninhabited makes me suspicious of any
explanations involving bacteria.  My hypothesis is that you're seeing
the precipitation of dissolved solids caused by the high water
temperature.  If your water contains high hardness and/or alkalinity, it
may be close to saturation at normal ambient temperatures.  Since most
common salts have negative enthalpies of solution, an increase in water
temperature will lower the solubilities of these compounds, possibly to
the point of saturation.

--
Andrew Dalton

http://pages.prodigy.net/asdalton/