NFC: Collecting results

Well, as planned (sort of) I went to the Yazoo City region.  I left
kind of late in the afternoon.  Since noone else was coming I just
wanted to sample a couple of areas I knew about.  Unfortunately
the water was very high, swift, and turbid due to a thunderstorm the
night before.  After wading chest deep in muck all I had to show for
my efforts were a baby channel cat and a few fathead minnows.

So I went looking for a more managable creek, and shortly found
one that looked like perfect darter territory.  Rocky, clear
(somewhat), and cold. After a few swipes with the dipnet came up
empty, my son got bored and started throwing rocks.  He found an
unusual one and showed it to me, and I immediately recognized it
as a fossilized bivalve.  We started looking for more and found
them all over the place.  Also a piece of petrified wood and a bone
fragment.

So, it wasn't a total wash.  We brought home about 20 fossils,
most of which were the aforementioned bivalve.

Prost,

Martin

Greater American Freshwater Fishes Resource Site (GAFFeRs):  http://www.localink4.com/~archimedes/

"Fie on thee, fellow!  Whence come these fishes?" - Scheherazade

"Any fish with good teeth is liable to use them." - Wm. T. Innes