Re: NFC: seeking pumpkinseeds

I believe Ray wolff in wisconsin gets them on a regular basis...I will
forward your note to him....Good luck ...BTW have you checked with any
bait dealers ?

On Mon, 14 Dec 1998 15:23:36 +0000 "Thom DeWitt" <dewitt at ceeb_uky.edu>
writes:
>Hello.  I am an aquatic ecologist and a newcomer to this list.
>I wanted to introduce myself and ask for help obtaining pumpkinseed
>sunfish.
>
>I study the genetics of a freshwater snail (Physa) as relates to
>resisting two major predators, crayfish (Orconectes) and pumpkinseed
>sunfish (Lepomis gibbosus) in natural populations.  Details can be
>found on my webpage (URL below).
>
>My main reason in contacting NFC now is to ask for help obtaining
>pumpkinseed sunfish for my research.  The fish will be kept in
>good health in aqaria.  They are needed to generate fish-scented
>water, which stimulates snails to more crush-resistant shells.
>That's right, the snails genes for shell growth change their
>expression based on the presence or absence of fish smell.
>
>Would anyone out there be willing to send 30-50 small (4-7 cm) fish
>to me.  I can reimburse shipping costs and pay $50-100 for the favor.
>
>Thanks,
>Thom DeWitt

>Dr. Thomas J. DeWitt
>Research Assistant Professor
>Center for Ecology, Evolution, & Behavior
>TH Morgan School of Biological Sciences
>University of Kentucky
>Lexington, KY 40506-0225
>
>http://darwin.ceeb.uky.edu/ceeb/profs/thom/webpage.htm
>tel 606/323-4992; fax 257-1717; email dewitt at ceeb_uky.edu

Robert Rice
Help Preserve our Aquatic Heritage join the NFC
email us at NFC at actwin_com or  Sunfishtalk at listbot_com
website  http://nativefish.interspeed.net/

or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]