Re: NFC: seeking pumpkinseeds

Josh,
You have it right.  The fish-induced shells not changed genes.
It is merely the _expression_ of given genes that changes based on
the presence or absence of fish smell. Thus there is both a genetic and
environmental component to shell shape and strength.

Neat stuff if I do say so myself : )
The story is dragged out in excruciating detail on my webpage, if you
wanted to learn more.  Questions are always welcome.

Thom

> Date:          Mon, 14 Dec 1998 15:40:31 -0500 (EST)
> From:          Josh Wiegert <wiegerj at paul_paulsmiths.edu>
> To:            nfc at actwin_com
> Subject:       Re: NFC: seeking pumpkinseeds

> Thom,
>   Although pretty much everything is frozen up here, making any help
> rather... difficult at best, your work did strike a bit of curiosity.
>
>  You stated that the snails could change their genes in response to the
> presense of fish.... are you sure this is a genetic change, which would be
> passed down to young and so forth, and not just a reaction to the fish
> scent, the same way your hair grows faster after a haircut, plants grow
> differently if you clip the terminal bud, etc.  ?
>
> end
> ><>
> J. L. Wiegert

Dr. Thomas J. DeWitt
Research Assistant Professor
Center for Ecology, Evolution, & Behavior
TH Morgan School of Biological Sciences
University of Kentucky
Lexington, KY 40506-0225

http://darwin.ceeb.uky.edu/ceeb/profs/thom/webpage.htm
tel 606/323-4992; fax 257-1717; email dewitt at ceeb_uky.edu