dip nets: reply, 1 source, how would you design the perfect dip net contest

Not an hour ago I was glancing at dip nets in the current Memphis Net and
Twine Catalog. They will send you a free catalog.  They also have seine nets
and traps, etc.  They supply a lot of commercial fish collecting stuff.

phone:   1-800-238-6380
e-mail:   memnet at netten_ne

They have 2 "D" types and a round one.  They look heavy duty but the handle
may not be long enough (40").  Range from "D" type fingerling net $35 to $40
round net.  Page 33, top left corner of 1998 catalog.

I've also seen a couple fish nets in Entomology.  Bio-Quip is the one that
comes to mind. Don't have a catalog on hand right now.  You university types
could check with someone in that department for more suppliers.  Anybody else
have other sources?

I've looked at extendable swimming pool nets before and wondered how to
convert one of those into a dip net.  I don't like the size of the net
currently on the ones I see at some Wal-Marts or pool supply stores but I do
like the handle.  Anyone have any ideas on converting one?

For all you dip net experienced folks, what would you be looking for in a dip
net?  If we can come up with decent design parameters and enough people to
purchase them, maybe we can talk Memphis Net and Twine in to building a batch
for us or adding a few to their line once they know there is a market.  Or
find someone else outside of the net industry with the tools and skills to run
a few off and we attach our own nets.  Maybe get someone to make just the
heads that would screw on to an extendable swimming pool net.

A few years ago, I heard from others that Memphis Net used to build a dip net
"strong enough to turn a truck over with."  I don't think we need one that
strong; it would probably be too heavy.

Here are a few things off the top of my head we need parameters on:

- length of handle
- metal or wood
- extendable handle or screw together sections
- width and height of net opening
- round or "D" or square shapes
- depth of net
- what material to make net out of
- what size(s) of mesh
- removable heads (perhaps have different heads to change for different
collecting      needs)
- price range you would be willing to pay for a quality net
- weight considerations

Keep in mind different states have legal requirements on size.  I believe
Indiana says opening cannot be more than 3 square feet, which strikes me as
being too small.  Indiana also has an unintelligible requirement on depth.

Any tips on successful collecting procedures would also be appreciated.

I'll also copy this to Memphis Net and see if they respond with any ideas.

Chuck Church
CEFChurch at aol_com
PO Box 2067
Indianapolis, Indiana 46206-2067