Re: Fw: Native collections

One of the best places to start for persons interested in native fish is
the NFC website, located at http://nativefish.interspeed.net/, as there
is quite a few articles and photos of various native fish species.
Please consider joining the NFC and working with us to conserve our
native fish species.

Second, I recommend that you acquire a copy of Peterson's Field Guide to
the Freshwater Fishes (about $20), which has excellent range maps and
illustrations.  The descriptions of each species in the book provides
important clues as to where these fish might be found.  Local bait
stores can be good sources of information and/or already captured
fishes.

You might want to consider joining the NFC discussion list, which is
dedicated to a wide variety of subjects about native fish.  It is free
and accessible from the NFC website, or you can join by  sending an
e-mail to: nfc-request at actwin_com, with the command 'subscribe' in
the body of the message (not the subject line). The NFC has a number of
members who reside in Florida and the southern states, some of which
might be interested in either joining you for a collection trip or
having you join them for a trip. If I remember my geography and range
maps correctly, I believe that you are in a very good location for
native fish collecting, with a large number of species available within
a couple hours' drive.

Good luck collecting and hope you consider joining the discussion list
and the NFC !

Dwight D. Moody, NFC Secretary/Treasurer