Re: Class project

Actually, yes.  First recommendation is the use of a Hagen AquaClear
filter, as it comes with a reusable sponge for mechanical filtration and
carbon in a media bag for chemical filtration.  To clean, simply remove
the media, remove the sponge and squeeze in a bucket of container of
tank water to clean.  Don't have to buy lots of expensive cartridges,
easy to clean also.  Recommend putting on a sponge prefilter to trap the
majority of grunge before it enters the power filter - one of the best
that I have used is to get a replacement sponge for an Aquaclear 500 and
cut a slit for the intake tube.  Works great and is cheap and reusable.

Second: you might want to think about what you are going to feed the
little darlings (the fish, not the kids).  Suggest a second tank for a
live food culture, such as daphnia (I can send you a starter culture if
you need one - they multiply like crazy if put into a container of green
water), along with good quality frozen foods.  I recommend Hikari, as my
darters like their frozen bloodworms, but keep in mind that most frozen
food is mostly water so frequent, small feedings are necessary, unlike
flake food which packs a lot of nutrition in a small package that only
needs to be dispensed once a day.

The use of live food sends an important message to kids that wild
creatures eat other wild creatures, illustrating the realities of the
food web.  It also helps to dispel the myth that food originates from
supermarkets, where it can be bought without having to face the
realities of food production, i.e., that veal cutlet came from a calf
and the steak came from a living cow, pork chop from a pig, etc. One
does not get a carton of milk and a package of steak by walking up to a
cow and opening the door on the side and taking out pre-packaged food.
All food comes from living organisms which must die in one way or
another to provide food for other organisms.

While this may at first not seem to apply to non-lethal food production
(i.e., dairy products) it is true nevertheless that the calf that was
born causing the cow to produce milk probably ended up as a hot dog or
veal cutlet and the grasses and other foods that the cow eats to produce
the milk die.  This doesn't count the animals that died as part of
forage production (haying, pesticide spraying on feed corn, etc.).  All
life necessitates the death of something else so that the energy and
nutrients can be assimilated into the food web.