Everglades Pygymy Sunfish Behavior

Thanks Jay!

The article in the Winter (Feb) 1998 (Vol 24 No 1) issue of American

Currents by Mette and Scharpf answered alot of questions regarding

spawning of the Everglades Pygmy Sunfish.

The E P Sunfish is a vegetation spawner. It doesn't make a nest

but the male does protect the eggs. I also observed the sidling threat

and wiggle waggle display as described by Mette and Scharpf. One

interesting thing not described by Mette and Scharpf that I observed

was the appearence of a second male during the actual

spawning. I was watching a pair of E P Sunfish going through the

spawning ritual (male wiggle waggling and female following). The male

led the female into a mass of Java Moss out popped the female from the

moss, out popped the male and then to my and the other males surprise

out popped a second male. The first male did a double take

(really! ;-)) and chased the second male off. I think I've read about

other male fish species doing a sneak fertilization of breeding pairs.

I wouldn't be surprised if the E P Sunfish had similar behavior.

Anybody observed anything similar?

Chris Darrow