Re: AFM and ramblings as just a Guy who loves Native Fish

Hello Robert, All,

I have had an active summer.  My most exciting day so far was spent fish
watching at a small river in Missouri.  I had never been able to get out to
do any fish watching or collecting on previous trips east of the Rocky
Mountains, and was unprepared for the amazing diversity of species present
back there.  In that one river alone were probably more species then in all
of Oregon!  I saw my first darters!  They were so adorable!  I think they
were logperch.  I did do a bit of angling there.  Brought in quite a mess of
really huge green sunfish.

I really need to do more fish watching/sampling back East.  I love Oregon's
fishes, but after that wonderful day in Missouri, I will always feel cheated
when I think about our lack of darters.

Last week I went on a collecting trip up in Washington State (our local
NANFA chapter's annual meeting), and met several people I only knew via
email through this list and others.  Great folks.  I think that they had an
educational and fun experience.  We learned quite a bit about salmon
conservation and habitat rehabilitation.  I hope to see more of them.

Sincerely,

Norm
The North American Native Fishes Association:  over
20 years of conservation efforts, public education, and
aquarium study of our native fishes.  Check it out at
 www.nanfa.org