Collecting trip report......

Hello all,

Spent the Bulk of the day 7 am -12noon with my daughter at the Blackwater
river state fish hatchery. Did some collecting and talking shop. Checked
on our NFC project the Blackbanded Sunfish they are doing fine and
fattening up well. We also discussed setting up breeding stations for the
Flagfin Shiner and the Bluenose Shiner. A strong possibility those will
be NFC partnering projects.

I also took home some zoo plankton and a 5 gallon bucket of cotton seed
meal to see if we could use hatchery techniques in the home aquarium to
produce zooplankton for hard to rear species like L. Ommata ellasomas
etc....details and final reports in an upcoming column   :)

Anyway to the fun part in the horrid Florida  heat we worked a 20 foot
section of a spring fed stream and collected 30+ flagfin shiners , a few
F Cingulatus males a nice trio of brown darters and scores of young of
the year of a variety of fish wich were released. So those of you who
have been waiting patiently for flagfin shiners may very well have some
heading your way..........If some one is interested in BREEDING brown
darters let me know and we can work something out on them . Many tiny
brown darters were all over which means they are breaeding in the heat of
the summer which holds promise for the species in the home aquarium.

Have a great weekend and take a kid collecting will ya.....BTW My
daughter had so much fun  she decided she wanted to start working there
instead of going back to school.....

Robert Rice

Save A Native Eat An Oscar <:)((((<
Check Out the Native Fish Conservancy at
email  NFC at actwin_com   or  website  http:\\nativefish.interspeed.net\

Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]