Fish Discussions...

Hi All,

WOW my email box was full of discussions today on exotic definitions etc
etc....First off let me say I think it is good to have these discussions
on the list as long as they do not become  personal in nature .

Second off Sometimes folks make the mistake of seeing a discussion like
this as NFC policy . Well the discussions are interesting and hopefully
productive but they are not NFC Policy. Hopefully people will learn from
these discussions  and can incorperate these things into future policy
discussions /positions. However What they all amount to is differing
views and opinions on some rather dicey topics. Interesting stuff for
sure.

NFC's primary job right now is to get members . Without members we will
be unable to bring in the funds or have the political clout to enact any
of our programs.

So walk carefully on the email lists when you get into dicey discussions
. I've seen them turn destructive and unpleasant and will have no part of
it here. There are several reasons why we did not put out a slew of
tighly written position papers the day we opened shop. The main reason
was We at the BOT and myself as President did not want to get into a
fortress mentality by producing such tightly written papers that we were
sure to spend our valuable time defending them from within instead of
doing the important work . There are so many areas that have no
controversy It seemed simplest and best to deal with them first. To break
off into tangents that analyze every word of every program to the nth
degree is a unproductive thing that we should avoid. We are a grass roots
organization not a PHD class . We should deal with the broader issues of
fish conservation particuarly public education , Fish life histories etc
. Long discussions of wether this law or that law are good bad whatever
are unproductive. Good may be a subjective term but it works :) We will
follow what evers on the books...

I think we can all agree that removing  aquarium species from our waters
is a good thing. Destroying the unsaleable ones is a good thing.
Informing the greater public of the damage these species cause is a good
thing... :) Purchasing conservation easments and promoting rational use
of our resources is a good thing....Where we have common ground we will
partner .....Anyway off my soapbox

IMO

Back to lurker mode

Robert Rice

Save A Native Eat An Oscar <:)((((<

Check Out the Native Fish Conservany at NFC at actwin_com

Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]