Re: blueheads

Herb and all,

I know Mike Gibson from Ark. I helped him with some collecting data
several years back.........I think your ideas are right on.......A team
approach is the way to go when yo have a good idea but not enough
resourcees to do it individually (see NFC as example) ....What we need to
do is approach the folks in Ark. as a team get our permits and move
forward ....

On Fri, 15 May 1998 19:27:54 -0500 Herb Harris <top_side at geocities_com>
writes:
>Hi Robert and all,
>
>	Just wondering if a couple (or whatever) of us might pool
>resources to
>go in for a grant application together? I've already been contacted by
>one list member that suggested a pooling of resources in a round about
>manner.
>	As I said before, I's not a biologist, and am not familiar
>with grant
>proposals and such stuff, but I do know where to find some good
>looking
>fish.
>	Not much experience breeding fish other than livebearers, and
>that is
>more standing out of the way than anything else. The Bluehead behavior
>that I observed in the wild before attempting to take any fish for
>collecting seems that these guys aren't extremely picky as far as
>breeding conditions go - I have seen them come into a mudbottom
>shallow
>flat where the water temp is up during April and May and a male  will
>defend a small territory near some vegetation (though one was over a
>stick) and best as I could tell females came to him. A lot of tank
>observation needs to be done on this though. Anyone else have any
>experience with these fish?
>	I can write up a life history easily enough, once I fully know
>it, but
>some of you guys that have more savvy with the grant thing might want
>speak up here?
>	See, I can go slow and just build up a working stock of fish
>and supply
>whomever as that develops, but the foot dragging of permit granting
>agencies is my problem. Sort of need some help there. The fellow I
>talked to that everyone said is "the guy you need to talk to," in
>Fisheries, is Mike Gibson (sp: Gipson?). He was familiar with the idea
>of keeping native fish, even recognized your name Robert - I hope you
>don't mind that I used your name and NANFA at the time, since NFC
>didn't
>exist then. He was cooperative, and friendly, though a bit taken aback
>that someone wanted to raise native fish for "strictly aquarium
>trade,"
>as the Arkansas regulations provide an exception to the granting of
>fish
>farm permits for non natives for this reason, so I asked him will they
>do the same for native species as well. He asked me to write a letter
>outlining my proposal, and I did, but no word back yet. Mike said he
>is
>a NANFA member, so I figured he at least would be inclined to give me
>hearing on the matter. Not to bring heat here! He seems like a fair
>guy
>when I talked to him on the phone. There may be more involved to this
>than I know.
>	Maybe some of you guys know him? I remember a post from a few
>months
> [...]

Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]

Follow-Ups: References: