Re: Pond Fish

Some of Robert Rice's southern killifish should do quite nicely in such
a setup. The F. crysotus killies are outstanding to look at with their
gold speckles on their sides and should readily breed. I have found that
Java Moss, Riccia and Salvinia work great for killifish spawning plants.

I am going to try to get some mudminnows in my upcoming collecting trips
and will let you know if I am successful.  If I recall correctly, the
NANFA Trading Post has at least a couple of people who have Central
Mudminnows and Pygmy Mudminnows. The May edition should be out on May 1
(I am hoping to get some more ads before then).

BTW, why not stock the five gallon pail with daphnia? That would give
you a thriving live food culture to generate lots of daphnia for your
new killifish from Robert Rice :).

>From owner-nanf at actwin_com Fri Apr 24 19:07:21 1998
>Date: Fri, 24 Apr 1998 20:01:32 -0600 (MDT)
>From: Josh Wiegert <jwiegert at nexus_v-wave.com>
>To: nanf at actwin_com
>Subject: Pond Fish
>Sender: owner-nanf at actwin_com
>
>As I do annually, I have set up a small, kiddie wading pool to serve as
>backyard pond.  I have also set inground a 5G bucket for the purpose of
>growing some plants.  I'm doing things a bit differently this year.
>Whereas in previous years, I've pretty much had just fish pools with
>minimal plant growth, this year, I'm adding some live plants to the
pond.
>Its primary purpose will be to breed fish in it.  This week, I'l be
adding
>the primary base stock of 50 guppies.  I'm open for suggestions on
native
>(or tropical) fish that would be guaranteed breeders for the pond.
>Currently, I'm thinking about swordtails and white cloud, but would
>really like to try to include some natives that'll breed. Have tried
>danios before, but they tend to be too skitish and jump out.  I've
tried
>Olmstedi darters, who do rather well in the pond, but won't breed,
>unfortunately.
>I'd also like to include some fish in the bucket, and have reached an
>absolute stumbling block.  I'm thinking that mudfish may be ok in it,
as
>well as Asian Anabantids.  Any ideas on where to get some muminnows?
><><
>J. L. Wiegert
>Come Chat at SomeThing Fishy.
>Telnet to:
>Nexus.V-Wave.Com, port 7000.

Dwight D. Moody
P.O. Box 214
East Montpelier VT  05651-0214
802-476-0685 (home), 802-241-3482 (work)
One of the earliest Christian symbols was the fish
(Greek: icthys, which was an abbreviation for the Greek
words in the phrase: Jesus Christ, Son of God, Savior).
Thus, disciples could identify each other by their use
of the fish symbol, which continues to be used today.
Jonah was swallowed by a huge fish and remained
within it for three days and three nights. Afterwards,
he was "vomited" (literal translation) onto the beach
to go and minister to the people of Ninevah (Jonah 2:1-11).
While we often find references in aquarium books
concerning the first instances of fishkeeping
by humans, this appears to be the first instance
of humankeeping by a fish!