"Dwight D. Moody" <dwight.moody at mailexcite_com>: Re: NANFA-- Re: OCT ads updated

From: "Dwight D. Moody" <dwight.moody at mailexcite_com>
To: "robert a rice" <robertrice at juno_com>
Subject: Re: NANFA-- Re: OCT ads updated
Date: Fri, 17 Oct 1997 06:56:37 -0700

I have to agree with Robert on this.  He correctly points out that
economic clout
results in conservation interest.  The reverse is also true.  For
instance, many
of the marshes around Chesapeake Bay were never developed due to muskrat
trappers
renting the land, providing a long-term income to the marsh owners which
would have
been lost if they had sold the land to developers.  The preservation of
the marshes
was effected by purely economic interests in maintaining their economic
potential,
which resulted in benefits for many non-furbearer species. In South
America, the
lands around Rio Negro are being protected from development due to the
economic impact
of the cardinal tetra fishery, which exceeds the potential economic
benefits of farming
marginal lands.  On the other hand, lands around the River Xingu are
rapidly being
destroyed in gold mining operations which wash vast quantities of silt
into a river
which has a quartz sand substrate.  The fishery for plecos and other
species there
is strictly exploitative as all parties realize that the fishery will be
wiped out
by mining activities, so it becomes one of "exploit it now, it will be
gone tomorrow",
rather than long-term management.

I personally see no conflict with economic self-interest deriving from
native fisheries.
 Allowing commercial operations to advertise in the Trading Post not only
promotes
native fish but also allows members the option of purchasing certain
species without
the obligation to offer something in trade. In addition, commercial
operations can
afford the expensive permits and paperwork necessary for commercial
propagation and
export.  Personally, I find that mail order vendors for freshwater fish
to be few
and far between.  Having them listed in the Trading Post is, I believe, a
public
service.  We could also advise other Web sites, such as JAWS, FINS,
Aqualink, Fish
Link Central, etc., that many mail-order vendors advertise in the Trading
Post, and
thereby get more members of NANFA. The only suggestion that I would offer
to the
existing protocols is to require that all advertisers be NANFA members.

Unlike the current practices of trading, buying from a commercial vendor
gives one
a receipt which documents that where the fish came from and that they
were obtained
legally.  This is especially important for common species that may be
threatened
or endangered in the state where a member resides.  For instance,
stonecats are a
Vermont listed endangered species, yet I can purchase them from
Missifishippi Aquatics.
 If a Vermont game warden or Federal Fish and Wildlife officer wanted to
know why
I was in possession of stonecats, I would certainly want to have the
paperwork necessary
to avoid arrest and prosecution! The same goes for someone in South
Dakota who wanted
to trade with me for Fundulus diaphanus, which is quite common here but
an endangered
species in South Dakota.  In that regard, I would like to assist in
developing a
reporting/tracking system for trades/sales to ensure that our members do
not get
in real hot water with having or sale of Federal or State
endangered/threatened species
and which enhances the image of NANFA as a professional organization.
---
Dwight D. Moody
P.O. Box 214
East Montpelier VT  05651-0214
802-476-0685 (home), 802-241-3482 (work)
One of the earliest Christian symbols was the fish
(Greek: icthys, which was an abbreviation for the Greek
words in the phrase: Jesus Christ, Son of God, Savior).
Thus, disciples could identify each other by their use
of the fish symbol, which continues to be used today.
For God so loved the world that he gave his
only Son, so that everyone who believes in
 him might not perish but might have eternal
life. For God did not send his Son into the
world to condemn the world, but that the world
might be saved through him. (John 3:16-17)

http://www.mailexcite.com