mbinkley at earthling_net (Mark Binkley): Re: NANFA-- Fathead minnow

From: mbinkley at earthling_net (Mark Binkley)
To: nanfa at aquaria_net
Subject: Re: NANFA-- Fathead minnow
Date: Thu, 21 Aug 1997 13:31:17 -0600

>Hi All,
>
>If any of you watch the "Animal Planet" channel, then you may have seen
>the show about the Fathead minnow, Pimephales promelas. This was a
highly
>entertaining presentation on the life cycle and behavioral aspect of the
>fish!
>One of the film segments showed the male Fathead guarding the eggs and
>cleaning the underside of the rock  where the eggs were incubating.

On a fathead related note-  I recently discovered some eggs on the
underside of a rock here in Ohio.  My collecting partners assumed they
were
darter eggs.  I scraped some off and brought them home in a bucket of
water
and put them in a ten gallon tank.  I now have a healthy group of inch
long
juvenile fatheads.  Apparently they are one of a few minnow species who
adhere plaques of eggs to rocks in cichlid and darter fashion.

Mark Binkley
Columbus, Ohio, USA
mbinkley at earthling_net

     <))><

Association
/ nanfa at aquaria_net. To subscribe, unsubscribe, or get help, send the
word
/ subscribe, unsubscribe, or help in the body (not subject) of an email
/ nanfa-request at aquaria_net.
/ For more information about NANFA, visit our web page,
http://www.nanfa.org