Re: NFC: Multi-Tank Filtration Question

Klaus is right on the possibility of central filtration and disease, but it
is a advantage in water quality if you can centralize certain filtration
requirements, and utilize a quarantine system as well.
Martin's observations are true to the mark, it is common to use central
systems, and they work well.

I rarely see a central system wiped out, but have seen them wiped out.
Sometimes or a good portion of the time, a disease doesn't show up, or
doesn't affect the fish because they are healthy, or not there long enough..
and sometimes their health is due to a nice big filtration system including
UV, OZONE, and many other aspects not allowing the disease to get to them..
But rare times can cause catastrophic results.  So nothing is perfect :)

But, most stores utilize separate tanks/ separate systems for their most
populated fish or most stressed, such as feeder fish or even more finicky
fish.  Most aquaculture facilities use central systems of some sort.  And a
good deal of them use open systems.  Egg incubation, and larval rearing are
common closed systems.....and with excellent results.  These facilities
clean often.

Still, I have seen disease tear up Marine fish systems in short order
resulting in entire lost stock, and time consuming cures.  And I've seen
filtration failures destroy fresh water stocks, mostly due to over crowding
in specific tanks.  And I've seen Velvet disease and some others not killed
by UV, or other filtration methods... Primarily, the more complicated one
gets, the more complicated the management.  In other words, stuff needs
cleaning, the more stuff, the more cleaning :)  Now a centralized system may
space off the need for cleaning for a longer period of time, but one will
have a bigger job cleaning it when the time comes.

So, it's my suggestion to utilize several systems anyway..

As for building your own... There are many of us out there that have done
it, and it's not all that difficult... still drawing, and planning are the
most important first steps... I think the best way is to decide what you
have room for, and know that those fixtures are not easily moved once
installed.  Consider the use of the areas for the specific animals... for
example.. it's not a good idea to stick big tanks full of feeder fish too
high because you'll want to access it easily, or to cover it restrictively
by a close overhead...Although one can employ items in the design to make
managing tanks easier allowing for isolating tanks, and/or "snap in
components".   The cost begins to soar when buying these items, and design
needs to incorporate their particular configurations such as inline
disconnects, valves and such...example:  If you can't access a disconnect...
is it worth using?

Prebuilt systems have their advantages, and if time is important, they are
worth the money.  I don't know of any, and have constructed only a few
myself.  Seems to me all the ideas presented so far have merit, so it's
expertise, time, and cost which will guide <grin>

Paul
(not an expert, but know enough to be dangerous)