Re: NFC: Planaria (behavior v. predation)

Thanks Kristine,

I'm glad I asked... that is definitely positive proof of planaria being
eaten (and with obvious relish!)

Matter of fact, if you send me some of yours I'll send you some of mine :)
Although mine are smaller than yours (<3mm) !  Or, I'd be happy to pay
shipping to get a few of those potentially 1"ers.  Contact me off list if
your interested.

The list of probable and definite EATERS of planaria grow!

So Far fish that do eat planaria:
Killis (probable)
Ciclids (angel fish do eat planaria)
Fat heads
damnbusia, (gambusia)
orangethroat darters,
redbelly dace,
sand shiner
central stoneroller

Fish that don't eat planaria
Neon Tetras (Jorge)
apistogamma (probable - thanks Scott)

It is possible, however, that some planaria species don't taste good.  But
that leads to the same conclusion as before... why would they run away..  I
did read a post regarding a tank with fish that was inundated with planaria,
so obviously, not all fish enjoy them, or as I said, not all species taste
the same...or perhaps, there were simply too many to be eaten by the fish in
this particular tank.  I wished I'd paid attention to the species mentioned!

Of course, thanks to Scott's post, apistogamma has been added to the don't
like side of it as a probable! (his post is below Kristine's)

Thanks to all!  This has kept me pleasantly busy :)

Paul