Re: NFC: new blue pike pics up

Hi Jake,
I have not fished in that Lake very much as most of the land around it is
private so its hard to get to, but I would estimate it at around 30 feet or
so at its deepest point, I don't see the eyes as being that much bigger but
maybe all the walleyes around here have larger eyes than others maybe do to
hybridation? If you fish at night around here and the moon is going in and
out of clouds it seems to bother the Walleyes eyes and they won't bite. The
picture shows them in Canadotha Lake so I will try harder this year to fish
there and get some. Maybe I can get some fry in minnow traps? I am trying to
get a permit from the state to allow me to collect and posses any fish of
any size so maybe I will get lucky on both points (plus I know some Fish and
Boating Commission People) The fish and game depts. also do surveys by
electro shock and large nets maybe I can see if they can do that in Candotha
lake to get some stock. My question is has anyone every been able to grow
Walleyes in small farm type ponds? I would think that would be a way to go
about doing some more serious breeding. I have relatives with small (1 acre)
ponds that at this time do not have any Walleyes in them the depth of the
ponds maxes out at about 8-10 feet so that might be to shallow (but they are
FULL of 24"+ Bass! very big for up here)

Also you mentioned zebra mussels. The state did find out that the goby
infestation that plaguing Lake Erie is actually eating the Zebra mussels.
The only problem is that a lot of the mussels are full of PCBs and other
toxins which get into the gobies, then small mouth and other fish eat the
gobies and then people eat the small mouth. This is going to be the next big
problem around here. Also a lot of the Lakes around here are starting to
show populations of Zebra mussels. They get there when they are in the Larva
form in live wells and bait buckets, and also possibly attached to boats,
trailers, and props. Lake Edenboro around here is heavily infested with
them. It flows into French Creek, which flows into the Allegheny which flows
into the Mississippi. If they find there way into the Mississippi its all
over! Right now they don't seem to be doing well in the faster moving water
of streams and in Lake Edenboro over the last two winters they have been
draining the lake down to expose the mussels to freezing ice and snow which
kills them.

Wally